Merchant Banking, Corporate Equity Associate, London
MORE ABOUT THIS JOB
We invest in corporate equity and debt, real estate equity and debt, and infrastructure-related assets and companies. Merchant Banking operates on a global platform and our team works in a fast-paced, exciting environment. We look for individuals with versatile skills and a passion for investing.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
At Goldman Sachs, our culture is one of teamwork, innovation and meritocracy. We often say our people are our greatest asset and we take pride in supporting each colleague both professionally and personally. From collaborative work spaces and ergonomic services to wellbeing and resilience offerings, we offer our people the flexibility and support they need to reach their goals in and outside of the office .
Goldman Sachs Merchant Banking Division – Corporate Equity – Associate, London
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a bank holding company and a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm. Goldman Sachs provides a wide range of services worldwide to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and high net worth individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in London, Frankfurt, Tokyo, Hong Kong and other major financial centres around the world.
Merchant Banking Division (MBD) has historically been the primary center for Goldman Sachs’ long term principal investing activity, and Goldman Sachs has operated this business as an integral part of the firm for over 30 years.
The firm has recently integrated MBD with Global Special Situations Group (GSSG), the Principal Strategic Investment Group (PSI), Private Real Estate (PRE), Realty Management Division (RMD) and Urban Investment Group (UIG) into one direct investing platform (~ $140bn of AuM) through the Merchant Banking Division. This combination enables the firm to deliver an integrated investing platform to our clients, leverage our domain expertise in multiple alternative asset classes, and position our business for sustainable long term growth.
The Corporate Equity team within MBD originates equity investments in companies across all geographies, industry sectors and transaction types. We pursue a strategy focused on long-term capital appreciation by committing to high-quality companies with strong management teams and actively supporting their development, with the ultimate objective of harvesting investments within a three to five-year period.
- Researching and assisting potential investment opportunities, both qualitatively and quantitatively
- Building and operating of complex financial models for company valuation purposes
- Participating in business analysis to help the team form a view on the merits of a potential investment
- Contributing to the preparation of discussion materials on proposed investment opportunities for the consideration of the Goldman Sachs Internal Investment Committees
- Participating in the monitoring of new and existing portfolio investments, and attending monitoring sessions with the portfolio companies’ management
Qualifications and Skills
- Ideal candidate will possess a relevant bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification and have an excellent academic and professional record
- Minimum 3 years’ experience spanning Investment Banking (ideally M&A Classic) and/or an investing role in Private Equity
- Team player with the ability to work in small teams and mentor junior professionals
- Strong quantitative, financial modelling, analytical, problem-solving skills
- Capability to work well under pressure and keen to take on responsibility
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills critical due to high level of interaction with other divisions, advisors and potential targets
- European languages beneficial
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
At Goldman Sachs, we commit our people, capital and ideas to help our clients, shareholders and the communities we serve to grow. Founded in 1869, we are a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm. Headquartered in New York, we maintain offices around the world.
We believe who you are makes you better at what you do. We’re committed to fostering and advancing diversity and inclusion in our own workplace and beyond by ensuring every individual within our firm has a number of opportunities to grow professionally and personally, from our training and development opportunities and firmwide networks to benefits, wellness and personal finance offerings and mindfulness programs. Learn more about our culture, benefits, and people at GS.com/careers .
We’re committed to finding reasonable accommodations for candidates with special needs or disabilities during our recruiting process. Learn more: https://
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2020. All rights reserved.
Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Veteran/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity