Job Title: Technical Specialist – CICS/MQ Sysprog
Department: Core Services, Technology Operations
Salary Range: £45,900 – £55,080 DOE plus great benefits
Location: Glasgow or Newcastle
Employment Type: Permanent
Ignite your Insatiable Curiosity
In our quest to make things better, we never stop looking at how every bit of core banking works. We sweat the small stuff, because we know it makes a big difference for our customers. But at the heart of this are our people who we couldnt do without. Our bold and brilliant colleagues who bring their A game every single day. The question is are you ready to bring yours?
We’re on the hunt for a CICS/MQ Sysprog to join our Technology Operations Core team. If you like a fast-paced role that will challenge you, then please read on!
This role in a nutshell:
As a CICS/MQ Sysprog, youll become part of the Core Team within Technology Operations. Technology Operations provide technical expertise to support the running of the Bank. Youll work across a number of the Bank’s change initiatives and provide expertise on our mainframe CICS and MQ. Youll take a leading role in ensuring that our Core platforms meet the challenges of the digital world and the ever-increasing service delivery expectations to support the Virgin Money journey.
To be successful youll need to bring:
- A deep expertise and enduring curiosity in the operation of IBM CICS on z/OS.
- A desire to explore and implement new technologies that transform our ways of working.
- A sound understanding of the principles of resilience, operability and security, and how they relate to CICS and MQ.
- Great experience of planning, preparing and delivering upgrades and Disaster Recovery Tests.
- A desire and aptitude to continually grow your own knowledge and skills, and help others do the same.
- A broad understanding of surrounding IT infrastructure: hardware, networking, data, and middleware.
- An aptitude to quickly assimilate and understand complexity under pressure in order to diagnose and remediate technical issues.
- A willingness to occasionally work outside normal business hours to deliver change, and to be on-call to provide 24×7 support as a member of a rota.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-changing environment.
Wed love you to have:
- A good working knowledge of the operation of Core Banking platforms.
- MQ administration experience, with knowledge of clustering and security.
- DB2 administration experience, with knowledge of database operational design and build.
- Experience and skills in other mainframe technologies, such as z/OS, VSAM, DS storage, FileAid, Innovation Access Method, Omegamon, and SYSB-II.
- Recent experience of core modernisation and managing digital demands on CICS infrastructure.
- Experience managing technical relationships with vendors and suppliers.
- Experience of identifying, quantifying and communicating technical risk.
We really need you to have the skills and experience listed in the "To be successful you’ll need to bring" section above, but the rest is just our wish list, so please dont let that put you off applying, wed love to hear from you!
RED HOT Rewards
- A generous holiday package and the option to buy more!
- Private Medical Insurance – with the option to extend to family members.
- Pension! A market leading pension well top up your contributions too.
- Flexible benefits customise your rewards to work for you!
Inclusion at Virgin Money
Inclusion is at the heart of everything we do here at Virgin Money. Its good for you, its good for us and its amazing for our customers. We know that great minds dont think alike, so we rely on your diverse thoughts, feelings, beliefs and backgrounds to be the best we can possibly be. Got any questions about this or need some support with your application? Wed love to hear from you so get in touch with our friendly team at or
Point to note
At the minute, depending on which team you are joining, lots of us are working from home. This is something that may change over time, and if so, we will come together in one of our hub locations, giving you the chance to meet your new colleagues in person. We will of course, make sure you have the IT equipment to access our systems and to interact digitally with your new team and colleagues, but we thought it best to let you know this in advance, so you can make sure you are set up to work safely and productively. If you have any questions on this let us know!
Now the legal bit
If we offer you a job and you accept, there are some checks we need to complete before you can start with us. This will include a credit and criminal record check, as well as providing 3 years’ worth of satisfactory references.