Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 55 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients.
We are seeking to hire a Fixed Income Trader to execute orders from portfolio managers and analysts, with a strong focus on our European credit book of business, to include cash and derivatives across the credit spectrum. This is an execution role, but there is significant opportunity and expectation to add value to client portfolios through collaboration with portfolio managers and analysts.
This position is based in London and will be situated on the Trading Desk at our offices, which are located at Cardinal Place, 80 Victoria Street. This trader will be working collaboratively with our Fixed Income Trading credit teams, which are currently located in Boston, London and Hong Kong.
Wellington Management’s trading philosophy and practices are based on the principles of seeking best execution, contributing to portfolio alpha, and managing regulatory, operational, liquidity and investment risks. We seek to execute orders in a manner consistent with these principles and in accordance with our written policies, which emphasize the fair dissemination, aggregation and allocation of investment opportunities across our investment platform and ultimately our clients.
Wellington Management’s Trading Department employs over 60 traders globally, including 40 Fixed Income traders, and operates in specialized teams according to sectors and products. Our investment and trading activities are conducted on an industry-leading internally developed technology platform, which we believe creates a meaningful competitive advantage. We are also supported by an in-house team of managers and quantitative and business analysts, who oversee the "business" of the department and provide in-depth, action-oriented insights into our trading capabilities and activities.
- Developing and enhancing over time an in-depth understanding of the investment philosophies and strategies of the portfolio managers, strategists, and analysts we serve;
- Gathering, analyzing, and disseminating market and security information that identifies or creates actionable investment opportunities;
- Executing orders in a manner consistent with our best execution and risk management practices, as well as our policies and procedures;
- Soliciting potential trade interest from portfolio managers and locating external supply/identifying internal demand for liquidity opportunities in the market;
- Remaining informed of new product developments;
- Fostering new trading relationships and leveraging existing relationships; and
- Monitoring and improving efforts to enhance efficiency while mitigating risk.
A successful candidate should have the following qualifications:
- Relevant industry experience, at least some of which has been in credit markets;
- Prior experience and/or exposure to trading would be additive, but is not required;
- Ability to work quickly and accurately in a fast-paced, dynamic environment;
- A willingness and ability to adapt to learn new asset classes, sectors or products as needs arise;
- A strong quantitative pedigree; a degree in a STEM subject, relevant postgraduate learning (ie Masters, CQF), and self-taught skills (i.e. Python, Tableau) will all be viewed favorably;
- Strong organizational and communication skills;
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail; a precision and risk management mindset that results in accurate and compliant work and manifests itself in double-checking work, stopping to question anything unusual, and frequent reconciliation of work throughout the day;
- Strong analytical skills and an ability to apply those skills in a highly practical fashion;
- An attitude and practice of proactive idea generation and continuous review and improvement of our processes;
- Impeccable integrity, fiduciary mindset, and ability to consistently place the interests of our clients as the number one priority;
- A pro-technology mindset and the ability to leverage technology to improve effectiveness and efficiency. Programming skills, while not required, would be additive;
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience in a collaborative, team-based, results-oriented environment; and
- Strong academic credentials; a Bachelor’s degree is required and MBA/CFA (or progress toward) would be additive.
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law . If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at .